Cosmetic eye surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a procedure that removes loose or crepey skin, excess fat, and puffiness from the upper or lower eyelids. There are several types of blepharoplasty, and an experienced surgeon in Tampa can recommend an ideal option based on the specific concerns a patient wants to address.
Some types of cosmetic eye surgery include:
- Upper blepharoplasty – involves removal of skin from the upper eyelid and fat from the inner eye corner (medial canthus)
- Transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty – involves removal of fat, or “bags,” from the lower eyelids
- Skin flap lower blepharoplasty – involves lifting lower eyelid skin away from the underlying muscle, removing fat, and trimming excess skin
- Skin muscle flap lower blepharoplasty – involves lifting both the lower eyelid skin and underlying muscle as one unit away from the orbital septum (ligamentous tissue in the eyelid), removing fat, redraping the skin/muscle layer, and trimming excess skin
- Suspension lower blepharoplasty – similar to skin muscle flap procedure, but involves anchoring the muscle layer of the lower lid to the rim of the eye socket with a durable, permanent or dissolvable suture
- Skin pinch blepharoplasty – involves pinching excess skin at the lash line into a ridge prior to removal, leaving the underlying muscle undisturbed; is sometimes performed in combination with a transconjunctival procedure
An individual considering cosmetic eye surgery should consult several experienced Board Certified plastic surgeons in Tampa who can suggest the appropriate procedure or combination of procedures that can best treat a patient’s eyelid issues. Facial filler injections such as Restylane ® or Botox may also be recommended to treat wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes.
When patients in Tampa, St Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota, Naples, and all other communities seek a blepharoplasty procedure, they turn to Board Certified Dr. Daniel Greenwald of Bayshore Plastic Surgery. Dr. Greenwald was educated and trained at Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and the University of Chicago, and has extensive experience performing blepharoplasty procedures.
Contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery in Tampa at 888-840-3199 to learn more about cosmetic eye surgery, or any of our other procedures, including face lifts, brow lifts, and more.