The recovery process that follows ear pinning surgery (otoplasty) is typically straightforward. Most patients are understandably anxious to see their results; however, it is important to carefully follow a surgeon’s post-surgical instructions to ensure the best possible outcome. Dr. Daniel Greenwald of Bayshore Plastic Surgery provides individualized information to help ensure that his patients fully understand what to expect during and after the ear pinning recovery period. Dr. Greenwald is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been performing otoplasty and other cosmetic procedures for more than 20 years in Tampa, Florida.
It is important for patients to keep in mind that the appearance of their ears will continue to improve after surgery. For instance, any residual swelling and bruising will gradually subside over the course of the healing period. In addition to resting and maintaining realistic expectations, which are important after any type of surgery, Dr. Greenwald offers the following tips regarding ear pinning recovery to his patients in Tampa, FL:
- Rigorous activities should be limited until the ears are completely healed.
- To minimize swelling, the head should be elevated with pillows during sleep.
- While the post-surgical dressings are in place, the head should be kept as cool as possible, so the use of hot hairdryers and other hairstyling tools is best avoided.
- The bandages can be removed after several days and will likely be replaced with a headband that should be worn for a few weeks.
- A special ointment may be prescribed for application to the incision area to promote healing and minimize scarring.
- Pain relievers may be prescribed to relieve discomfort during the first few days; after that, many patients find that over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications are sufficient.
- Hair washing with shampoos and soaps should be avoided during the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Regular activities, including work and school, can usually be resumed within several days to a week after surgery.
Lastly, Dr. Greenwald recommends an appropriate follow-up schedule for each patient. He also encourages his patients to contact his office any time they have a question or concern.
Patients in the Tampa, FL, area who are interested in learning more about ear pinning surgery and the associated recovery can call Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 1-888-840-3199.