Liposuction recovery can vary among patients based on the areas of the body treated, the volume of excess fat removed, and other individual factors. During a personal consultation appointment, Dr. Daniel Greenwald, a Board-certified surgeon who founded Bayshore Plastic Surgery in Tampa, FL, can provide prospective patients with individualized advice about what to expect during the healing period. In general, while every patient recovers at a different rate, the full liposuction recovery period can be expected to take anywhere from two to four weeks to two to three months.
Dr. Greenwald discusses liposuction recovery in depth with his patients in Tampa, Florida, prior to the procedure, and he provides each with detailed post-operative instructions. For planning purposes, Dr. Greenwald offers the following general guidelines:
- Typically, a patient can go home on the same day that the lipo procedure was performed, but a family member or friend will need to drive and help out during the first few days to ensure that the patient is able to rest.
- To facilitate liposuction recovery, special compression garments are typically worn to provide support for a few weeks. While results are usually visible immediately after surgery, the final contours will not be fully apparent until the swelling subsides, typically within a few months.
- Any residual soreness, aching, stiffness, and numbness can often be managed with pain medication and light walking.
- Postoperative bruising usually resolves on its own within approximately two weeks.
- Many people are able to return to work and moderate activity within a few days to a week.
Following liposuction recovery, a patient should keep in mind that the benefits of the procedure are not exclusively aesthetic. A sleeker and more contoured silhouette can often provide the motivation necessary to seek a healthier and more active lifestyle. This is important because, with proper weight management, the treatment results can be long-lasting.
If you are interested in learning more about liposuction and the recovery you might expect, please contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 1-888-840-3199 to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Greenwald at his clinic in Tampa, FL. Dr. Greenwald can help you determine whether the procedure is right for you, and create a customized treatment plan to meet your aesthetic goals.