Ultrasound assisted liposuction (UAL) is one of several lipo techniques performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Daniel Greenwald at Bayshore Plastic Surgery in Tampa, FL. UAL involves the use of a tumescent solution, which is injected into a treatment area to help break down the fat cells prior to their removal. One way that UAL differs from other lipo methods is the type of cannula utilized during surgery (a cannula is a slender, flexible tube used by a surgeon to loosen and suction out fat cells). When performing ultrasound assisted liposuction, Dr. Greenwald will use a special cannula that vibrates rapidly and produces high-frequency soundwaves. This powerful ultrasound energy liquefies the fat cells to further ease their removal.
For certain individuals, Dr. Greenwald may recommend ultrasound assisted liposuction as way to enhance the contours of the body by addressing isolated pockets of excess fatty tissue that do not respond to diet and exercise. As compared to traditional lipo, UAL can often:
- Reduce the risk of bleeding, swelling, scarring, and damage to surrounding tissue
- Remove a higher volume of fat cells from large, centralized areas of the body, such as the hips
- Target areas that can be difficult to reach and treat, such as the chin, neck, knees, and ankles
- Treat areas that contain fibrous tissue, such as the back or the male breasts (gynecomastia)
- Promote the production of collagen in a treated area, which can sometimes help smooth and tighten the skin
Dr. Greenwald firmly believes that educated patients make the best treatment decisions. If you are interested in ultrasound assisted liposuction, he can explain how it may help you achieve your aesthetic goals or recommend an alternative treatment that is more appropriate for you during a personal consultation at his office in Tampa, Florida. While ultrasound assisted liposuction can be very effective for certain patients, it is important to keep in mind that neither UAL nor any other type of lipo is a weight-loss method or a fix for obesity.
Contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 888-840-3199 if you’d like to learn more about ultrasound assisted liposuction or other cosmetic plastic surgery procedures, such as a tummy tuck or thigh lift. Dr. Greenwald treats patients from the Tampa, FL, area and beyond.