What is a mommy makeover? You might have heard this term before, which is often used to refer to a group of cosmetic procedures that are aimed at enhancing the appearance of a woman’s body after she gives birth. Of course, nothing can compare to the joys of motherhood. But, sometimes the lasting effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding can dramatically alter a woman’s silhouette, causing her to feel down about herself and long for the return of her pre-baby body. Dr. Daniel Greenwald of Bayshore Plastic Surgery in Tampa, FL, performs surgery for many mothers who, despite their best efforts to take care of themselves through proper nutrition and exercise, have seen their bodies undergo irreversible, post-pregnancy changes that they find displeasing.
Depending on a woman’s genetic predisposition and other factors, childbirth can have many long-term effects on her body:
- Sometimes, abdominal skin that is stretched during pregnancy doesn’t quite snap back to its original position after the baby is born.
- The vertical rectus abdominis muscles can separate and become lax, contributing to the protrusion of a woman’s abdomen.
- Breast skin can be stretched when the breasts become engorged during pregnancy and nursing, and the skin can become loose after a woman finishes breastfeeding, causing her breasts to sag. At the same time, her breasts can lose volume.
- Residual fat can settle in a woman’s hips, thighs, and abdominal area.
- Vaginal delivery may result in tearing or stretching of the labia minora.
- During pregnancy, hormones are released that can cause a woman’s labia to swell and enlarge, a condition that sometimes becomes permanent.
At a surgery center in Tampa, Florida, Dr. Greenwald can address these and other physical changes that commonly appear and endure after childbirth by performing one or more cosmetic procedures, such as a breast lift and augmentation, tummy tuck, butt lift, labiaplasty and/or liposuction.
Dr. Greenwald is a highly experienced, Board-certified cosmetic surgeon who is well-known and trusted for both his surgical acumen and caring manner. Since beginning his career, he has performed thousands of successful cosmetic procedures, and he has been consistently recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America by the Consumers’ Research Council of America.
If you’d like to learn more about what a mommy makeover is, and whether it might be right for you, please contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 888-840-3199 to schedule a personal appointment with Dr. Greenwald at his clinic in Tampa, FL. When you meet with Dr. Greenwald, he will discuss your post-pregnancy concerns and, if appropriate, recommend a customized mommy makeover to address them. Dr. Greenwald will also be pleased to show you mommy makeover before and after photos and provide details on what you can expect during your mommy makeover recovery.