A breast lift (mastopexy) is a cosmetic surgery procedure that tailors breast skin to fit the underlying breast volume. The results are perkier contours with better nipple-areolar positioning. Drooping is eliminated, nipple position is restored, and upper pole projection is increased.
While this type of surgery cannot significantly change the size of the breasts, it can be performed along with a breast augmentation. A breast lift (mastopexy) is part of a breast reduction procedure.
Reasons to consider a breast lift procedure
Over time, the appearance of the breasts can change. For instance, the breasts may begin to droop due to a loss of skin elasticity related to the effects of gravity and the natural aging process. These effects can be intensified by pregnancy, breastfeeding, and body weight fluctuations, all of which can potentially stretch the breast skin and the supporting ligaments. Because these factors can also affect the outcome of a breast lift procedure, this surgery should be delayed until a patient has finished breastfeeding and is able to maintain a healthy, stable body weight for at least six months. Additionally, a breast lift is not recommended if a woman is considering pregnancy at any point in the near future.
For the right patient, a breast lift procedure can address a number of aesthetic issues, including:
- Breasts that have lost their shape and firmness
- Breasts that have become flatter and longer
- Nipples that fall below the breast creases when unsupported
- Nipples that point downward
- Areolae (the dark areas surrounding the nipples) that have disproportionately stretched
A mastopexy procedure can be performed on breasts of any size. With that said, it’s important to keep in mind that large breasts are heavier and more prone to sagging than small breasts. Therefore, when a breast lift is performed on large breasts, the surgical result is more likely to change over time.
Who performs breast lift surgery in Tampa?
Dr. Daniel Greenwald, a Board-certified plastic surgeon who founded Bayshore Plastic Surgery in Tampa, Florida, has been performing breast lift surgery and other types of cosmetic surgery and reconstructive plastic surgery since 1993. If you choose to work with Dr. Greenwald, he’ll get to know you, learn about your concerns and goals, and explain what he can do surgically to enhance your appearance, keeping in mind what is important to you – and also what is realistic.
What surgical techniques can be used during a breast lift?
If you and Dr. Greenwald determine that a breast lift procedure is appropriate for addressing your aesthetic concerns, he will fully explain your surgical options. Because women and their breasts can differ in many ways, breast surgery must be custom-tailored to each patient’s specific needs. For example, some of the surgical techniques that Dr. Greenwald may utilize during a breast lift procedure include:
- The donut technique – To minimize scarring, Dr. Greenwald makes a circular incision around the nipple. This can confine the surgical scar to the areolar region, where the scar will be less noticeable because the skin is darker in color.
- The tailor-tack method – To preview the surgical result prior to making any incisions or removing any breast tissue, Dr. Greenwald folds the skin to reshape the breast and applies temporary sutures to hold it in position. After creating the targeted breast shape and removing the sutures, he surgically trims away the folded skin.
- Anchor scar technique – Dr. Greenwald utilizes this common scar pattern, which is also known as the Wise-pattern technique, when there is a lot of excess skin to remove and when the nipples are situated more than just a little below the inframammary folds (breast creases).
In Dr. Greenwald’s view, the outcome of breast lift surgery should appear to be natural. The breasts should feel soft and move easily along with the rest of the body, and any scars should be well hidden. In other words, it should not be obvious that the breasts were surgically enhanced.
If you’d like to find out if a breast lift procedure or breast augmentation surgery is right for you, contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 877-873-7522 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Greenwald at his office in Tampa, just across the bridge from St Petersburg.