An eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, is a procedure performed on the upper or lower eyelids to remove loose, excess skin; diminish fine wrinkles; remove puffy bags and excess fat; and, in some cases, treat dark under-eye circles.
Complications associated with eyelid lift procedures are relatively rare, but patients should be aware of the following issues that may arise after upper eyelid surgery:
- Poor upper lid closure – can occur if too much skin is removed during an upper eyelid lift
- Lid asymmetry – the height or shape of one eyelid crease doesn’t match the other; may occur in patients with brow ptosis (drooping) prior to surgery
- Scarring – can be an issue when an irregular incision is made outside of natural eyelid creases
The following are potential complications related to lower eyelid surgery:
- Lower lid retraction – the lower lid is pulled downward, revealing the white portion of eye beneath the iris; may occur in patients with poor muscle support in the lower lid
- Hollowness – the lower eye socket appears sunken in if too much fat is removed while treating puffy under-eye bags
- Ectropion – the eyelid is rolled outward, exposing the inner lid surface; can occur in patients with a flaw in the outermost layer of the lower eyelid’s soft tissues
- Entropion – the eyelid is rolled inward, toward the eye; can occur in patients with a flaw in the innermost layer of the lower lid.
Dry, sore eyes can develop after upper or lower blepharoplasty, but this discomfort is normal for most patients following eyelid surgery. Blindness is another eyelid lift complication, but is extremely rare.
To help prevent eyelid lift complications, a patient should seek an experienced plastic surgeon with a high level of blepharoplasty expertise. This ensures that the procedure will be performed properly and that the surgeon will be able to effectively treat any complications that arise. For patients in Tampa, St Petersburg, Clearwater, Naples, or any other community in Florida seeking a blepharoplasty expert, the cosmetic surgeon of choice is Dr. Daniel Greenwald of Bayshore Plastic Surgery. He has decades of experience and has performed many eyelid lift procedures.
Contact Bayshore Plastic Surgery at 877-873-7522 for more information.